Had a day off work to collect my OH from hospital. Unfortunately she had to stay in another day so I went down the shed to take my mind off things while I waited for visiting hours.
First off all I tried the caliper Toddy sent me for size. Unless I modify it it is going to join the other calipers I have that don't fit. The photo below shows three of the four tried so far.
I may still be able to use the AJP but I'll need to modify it...
I then turned my attention to the front wheel. Looks like having the wheel offset by 10mm has fixed the alignment issues I was having.
Just need to turn a few spacers and I'll have a roller.
Most of my time was spent on the number board. I decided to try mounting the light from the number board rather than the yokes. To do this I made a couple of brackets from 2mm angle and welded them in place.
I tried a new technique for this. I drilled and countersunk a couple of 8mm holes in each bracket and rosette welded them in place. It appears to have worked quite well.
Next I attempted to weld the stainless steel mesh in place. I found that very short spot welds were the only way I could avoid burning the thin mesh back.
Not too happy with how this turned out and may try something else, something neater. However it did hold everything in place while I hammered the mesh from the side shown above to make it flush with the front side.
Cheltenham auto jumble tomorrow. I've been planning and making a shopping list.