The plan was to clean the engine up then strip the top end. Didn't work out that way though. Stuart did a sterling job cleaning the engine but when it came to sticking the engine in a vice to hold it while I stripped the top end neither of us had confidence in this method of holding the engine (despite it working OK last time I tried, but that was 15 years ago and with a different vice). So the decision was made to fabricate an engine stand to do the job properly.
A couple of hours and some scrap 2" box section later....
I still need to make a couple of braces from the crankcase lug under the dynamo to one of the crush tubes I welded in place.
Yesterday I gave it a thick coat of smooth hammerite and today I received some plastic end caps from ebay which I installed in between working on a stand for my bandsaw.
Next thing on my to do list is to thoroughly clean an area to work in and the start stripping the top end for inspection and (hopefully just) a cosmetic renovation.