Thursday 28 April 2011

Bit of progress, polishing and a mystery.

Got the freshly powder coated yokes in place yesterday


While putting the yokes together I decided to polish the lock stops, while the mops were out I polished the heads of the countersunk bolts I bought at Stafford. Picture below shows the results along with an unpolished one for reference.


Now for the mystery...


When I stripped the forks I put everything back on the fork leg to keep it all in one place.


When I ordered the parts to rebuild the forks I basically ordered one of everything on the parts fiche. When I compared this to what I had taken out of the LHS fork I found that there was a washer missing from the parts I had ordered. Odd thing is the RHS didn't have this second, thinner washer.


A trip down to Skellerns (my local Yamaha bike shop) solved the mystery, the thinner washer is
a spacer for use when using 'leak prrof' seals.

With the mystery solved I rebuilt the LHS leg and installed it in the yokes (after polishing the pre-load adjuster)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers