Tuesday, 12 October 2010

A day off work is a day in the shed....

One thing I neglected to report is that when I was wet sanding I managed to break through the colour coat in a couple of places. The first was due to me leaving the tank on it's side because I had tried to paint over a defect on the other side using a small artists brush. Obviously the paint was still too soft for this treatment as it took on an imprint of the table surface. I tried to sand it out and that's when I broke through to primer...

The second was simply a case of an indelicate hand on edge of the bottom of the tank

I also had a small area on the seat unit where I had broken through to primer but I didn't get a shot of that.

I decided that this was a good application for my new touch up gun so I masked off the black I shot over the weekend and touched up over the affected areas.

I gave the new red paint a chance to dry a bit while I went to get the weeks and then set about fixing a couple of defects on the black stripe. Same routine flat back the defect (in this case a couple of dust particles and the thumb print I put in the paint while removing the masking tape), mask off the red and shoot a couple of light coats using the touch up gun. The picture below shows the thumb print at the front of the tank.

 And this one shows the tank after touching up, you can just about make out the step in the paint where I masked it off. Hopefully it will wet sand out OK.

This is how the tank and seat unit look now....

I'm still not sure about how the simple black stripe looks. While I was waiting for the paint to dry on the tank I experimented with some masking tape on the seat unit.

I really like the look of this, I just need to work out how to do it. I have some 6mm vinyl tape on it's way to me via the magic of ebay. Other options are to get it done by someone else, do it myself with masking tape and white paint (although this might give me problems with colour bleedthrough) or a pinstripe roller (but a search on google suggests these come in at £80 with a single width roller).

No comments:

Post a Comment